Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Run for the Cure

So Sunday was the big day. My second race ever, it still made me nervous. This race was so non competitive it was terrific. It was just about getting out there and supporting people with breast cancer and celebrating life. I felt terrific.

After my first km I chose a random woman in front of me that was going a bit faster than I. I thought if I can just keep up to her and maybe even pass her I will run a great time(for me). I was listening to my ipod but I wasn't even hearing the songs, my mind was wandering and enjoying every second of this run. I found myself reading who people were running for on their shirts. Aunts, sisters, Grandmothers, friends, coworkers, you name it. I thought about my friends and family that have had to battle cancer, the ones who have won and the ones who have lost and was instantly grateful for every second that went by.

By the last km I knew I would beat my time if I just kept my pace, there were a couple hills that sure made me breath pretty heavy but I was determined. I caught up to the woman I was following from afar the whole race and said thank you. (Advice that I got from my online running friend Wayne, Thanks Wayne) She was shocked and didn't know why so I quickly explained to her that she was my motivation through the race. She was touched, I think I might have made her day.

I ended up beating my last race time by 2min 14seconds and was soooo happy. I have decided I am going to train for a 10k in May 2010. Maybe do another 5k in between. It is such a wonderful feeling to beat your personal best.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!!! Wow...and you beat it by over 2 minutes...awesome!

    ReplyDelete